30 January 2012

Omni Tower Hotel, Bangkok

I have been in Bangkok during the float alarm on November 2012. I made my travel plans much before and there must have been some disaster happening for real that I deviate my tip to tail flight and travel plans. Hence I didn't cancel anything but I had to arrange some hotel high enough! Omni Tower seemed to me very convenient in this sense and also had a relatively fair price for a 4 star apartment complex, thus, I made a studio reservation for 1600 baht per day. A week later, 2 days before my arrival to Bangkok, I realized by luck that the prices of the executive suites reduced to the same level. Therefore, I wanted to change my reservation like all of wise people would do. For that I just canceled the old reservation and finally made a newer reservation for the suite and I was ready to go.

The hotel, which is composed of a 33 story tower and its neighboring service building, is located very close and nicely connected to the modern center of Bangkok through Sukhumvit Avenue, Phloen Chit, Chit Lom and Nana station. If you really want to be around this area, it is a great option. You can reach everywhere with public transport or very low paid taxi fares. Don't forget to make the drivers start the meters before driving. This a common scam in Bangkok and the taxis waiting in front of the hotel usually have the tendancy to do the opposite. Besides the location advantage, there are also many drawbacks associated with the hotel itself as well and they welcome you since the very first moment you arrive to the hotel.

Although the hotel looks pretty luxurious and chic, you have to carry your luggage to the reception. There are bellboys but not smart enough to help you up. It is a very warm welcome especially if you arrive in the night. "-1". There was another great surprise waiting for me. After I checked in, I was given the key of the apartment and an RFID card to access the elevator hall. The bellboy then realizes that he needs to help you and takes you up to the room and also carries your luggage. So far so good. But the problem was actually the room itself. They gave me, accidentally or on purpose, the studio room. This I haven't figure out and thus I don't want to say something accusing. And you can't easily distinguish between the studio and the one-bedroom suit if you haven't stayed in this hotel before because they have similar surface areas and big enough for one person. Anyway, I doubted and wanted to clarify if they mixed something. They have claimed that the reservations were mixed but they have never reached my latest reservation and they were not willing to give me the room I reserved until I showed them my reservation on the phone. So it was not that innocent. "-2"! Anyway, I had what I wanted with some struggle but I was nervous at the end. 

Coming to the rooms, I can say the rooms were pretty large for both studio and suite. The furniture and appliances are quite old if you are willing to use them. The view is very nice if you want to stay on the 27th floor. However the room service is terrible. The first morning I put the "clean my room" sign on the door and went out. When I come back nothing was cleaned or changed and it was quite late. I called the reception and asked for it. In return they tried very hard not to do that and finally even asked for extra money for the towels they changed. How cute isn't it? "-3". That was cream on the pie to hate the place to be frank. So even this is quite enough not to recommend the place alone. But the stories never end. When you enter the rooms you see that they offer free sightseeing tours. This was not true, either. When you ask they say all of them are cancelled due to float but when you go to the palace or the temples by yourself you see that there is no float and no cancellation of any tour. "-4". I continue. In the reservation, it says in the reservation that breakfast is included in the price. Don't expect anything better than an hostel breakfast. I guess that was the most terrible breakfast I have ever had after the one I had in a hostel in Paris many years ago. But the difference is that one was a student hostel for 21€ in Paris the other was a 4 star business suit for 1800 bath in Bangkok. I leave the evaluation to you but "-5". I guess the only things good about the hotel were the location and the view that you can see below. Other than that I cannot recommend you the hotel at all. It is much better to find other options in Bangkok.




No comments:

Post a Comment